Support for Title and Description attributes?

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:02 PM

First let me say thanks for this tool.  I have been using it all day today, and I very much appreciate your effort on it and its usefulness to us.  

And however many requests/suggestions/complaints and/or bugs I may post, rest assured that I still know that 1) this is a beta tool, and 2) it is much better than having to use the browser interface to do the same thing (which is why I am using it).

That said, I would like to request support for the Title= and Description= attributes.  Right now, the tool appears to only support the element collections (<Titles>..</Title>, and <Descriptions>..</Description>).  The current behavior has two significant problems:

1. The element collections are a lot more overhead, effort and clutter, especially if we do not need language localization for a particular CRM customization.
  2. The *much* bigger issue is that the current behavior is not keeping existing Title and Description attributes when it loads the SiteMap  (or acknowledging their existence in any way), so that if you edit a node that *had* these attributes and then save those changes, they are effectively stripped out without any warning or notice.  (You can see this with the Display XML button).

Anyway, thanks again.. 

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hi Barry,

The Titles/Title and Descriptions/Description are mandatory to provide custom label, even if you have only one language installed. This is the way the SiteMap is built...In SDK, you can see that both Title and Description attributes are deprecated... That's why I do not support them...

For the second point, it is related to my previous explanation with the deprecated point...

If you have some really important reason why I should implement these deprecated attributes, I'm ready to listen

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:27 AM

A fair point, and given that I acknowledge that the Editor needn't support adding or editing these attributes.  Nonetheless, issue #2 above is still the most important issue.  Deprecated or not, as long as the feature has not been formally withdrawn, an editor should not silently strip out functional content of the SiteMap.

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

So I have a dumb question then. If <Title> is deprecated how do I go about changing the Services section name to say Delivereables etc?

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM

<Title> is not deprecated, it is the attribute "Title" in "Area", "Group" and "SubArea" xml nodes that is deprecated.

So you can use <Titles>/<Title> child items (right click on "Area", "Group" or "SubArea" to add Titles/Title)

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Thank you for the clarification.